Shifting houses has always been challenging, and the weather makes the moving process more brutal and challenging, especially in winter. During winter, many problems can come up. You don’t want to fall sick when every family member needs to contribute to this moving task to get it done quickly.
In winter, you can encounter cold weather and snow that can get in the way of your moving. If you are considering moving this winter, you should know what you are getting into and be prepared for the possible troubles you could face. It might not be easy, but there are things you can do to make your move more comfortable and enjoyable in this weather.
Tips For Organized Plan To Move In Winter
Furniture delivery truck have come up with some tips that you can follow for an organized plan to move in winter.
Check on weather updates
It is important to plan well ahead of the move but to stay organized, you must know what the weather will be on a moving day. Winter is very unpredictable; you might need to make some changes at the very last moment, so keeping an eye on the weather forecasts is essential.
You’ll have to check for extreme weather conditions that can cause you to reschedule. So make sure to stay connected to your movers and have a backup plan ready to change the moving date accordingly. If you have a backup plan ready, you won’t panic and will stay calm.
You’ll have to be flexible to travel this season in case of a storm. You’ll have to wait for the paths to be clear, so give yourself an extra day to find and know where the shop and nearby hotels are.
Good organization of things will always make any process quicker and smoother. Now to get rid of the moving headache and to stay organized during a move, you should keep in mind some of the basic things like:
- Decide on the home belongings you want to relocate and which items you’ll have to donate or get trashed. Make a list and separate the ones you’ll have to pack.
- Label all the boxes and bags that you are going to move. Tag what the things inside the box are and which room they’ll be placed in a new home.
- Also, separate the items you will take with you in your vehicles, like irreplaceable items, cash, jewelry, essential documents, and any other sensitive thing you think is priceless.
Pack for bad weather
You should always factor in the weather when packing. There are different ways to pack for a winter-season move.
The temperature comes into the picture when you go outside your home, and your sensitive and fragile possession can get damaged. All items need extra care while packing, so cover them with a layer of packing paper or bubble wrap. You can also use water-proof boxes to save them from bad weather conditions.
So it would help if you took extra care of a few things while packing, like:
- Any non-tempered dishes or fine china
- Musical instruments
- Antique furniture or any delicate items
Protect the floors
Winter is unexpected, but one thing you can be sure of is that there will be snow outside any day. It can be very messy in winter with rain and snowfall. Melted snow with outside dirt and mud will ruin your floors. So make sure to protect your floor. You or your service provider will need to take care of it, so your items do not get damaged.
Most professional moving service companies provide floor protection.
Clear the walkways and driveway
Safety should be the priority during a move at any time of the year. Having a clear path throughout the way to your new home makes the trip safer and less stressful. To know the potential risks involved in and around your new place, you must visit the new location before the moving day. Especially in winter, when ice, snow, and slush can make conditions slippery, it can be dangerous. It will help if you do everything to keep your home safe.
Clear all the walkways and driveways around the house for ice, snow, and accumulated mud. Additionally, you should ensure a parking area for the moving truck, as you want to avoid your movers struggling through mud, snowbanks, and slush while loading and unloading your stuff.
Temporary home for pets
It is easy to let your pets outside for a few hours in summer, but that is not the case in winter. The cold weather creates difficulties for your pets too.
To avoid your pet running away in snowy cold weather, we suggest you give your pets to your friends, family members, or neighbors for the day. This way, they can be taken care of and be warm and safe inside during a move in winter.
You must have an emergency kit for an organized move, especially in winter. Your emergency kit should include items like:
- First aid kit
- Water bottle
- Packed food items
- Essential items for your pets
- Portable air compressor
It will be challenging to do it all by yourself. But if you want to do packing and loading quickly during winter, you’ll have to get help from your friends, family members, or neighbors.
One way to get help is to hire the best moving company that will complete your move quickly and safely. To decide how much help you need, you can consider factors like the number and size of your belongings, distance, and budget.
If you move a few items for a short distance, you can convince a few friends to help. However, for a large or long-distance move, you’ll need to consider a moving company that is well-equipped for winter moves. Go with the safest, most efficient option according to your requirement. Also, let other people know your moving date in advance so they can manage their time to help you.
You will relocate many items during the winter move. For that, you need to keep in mind a few following things:
- Climate-controlled storage: Climate-controlled storage will secure your valuable possession against the cold weather.
- Protect delicate items: Don’t pack fragile things in the same box; even if you do, use bubble wrap first. It will preserve them from breaking each other in the moving vehicle and protects them from the unwanted water seeping in with snow.
- Wrap items: Wrapping with a wool or cotton blanket can protect the items from getting damaged.
- Dry the equipment: Liquid can freeze at a cold temperature, so dry all the equipment before packing and put them in a warm area to drain all the fluid.
- Wax the furniture: Waxing furniture creates another layer to resist moisture.
- Clean items: You must clean items like sofas and mattresses before loading them in the truck. Otherwise, these can get mildew due to cooler temperatures.
Everyone knows winters are harsh, but if you plan and organize your move well, you can save money. If you need removalist services in Melbourne for your winter move, Furniture Delivery Truck are the moving experts who move people all year. With the help of our professional movers, we offer a fast and well-organized move. We provide all the guidance to our clients and move their homes and offices peacefully and at a lower price.
We have a variety of services like house relocation, office relocation, and furniture removals. We offer premium services according to your needs and desires. Our movers have years of experience in the removals industry.